Friday, April 14, 2006

Husemoller-What kind of the hell kinda name is that, anyway?


This is my cousin, Dieter's mailbox in Germany...

When I was growing up having a last name like Husemoller was a bit like being a "Boy Named Sue." I can't tell you how many times my last name was mispronounced, misspelled, and otherwise mangled. In addition, if you have a creative mind, I am sure you can come up with a variety of variations on the name "Husemoller," all of which can and were used to tease me when I was a kid.

However, once I became an adult I realized that having a unique name is actually pretty cool. Another great thing about my last name is that whenever I ever run-into another Husemoller (which usually requires a bit of effort on my part), I know they're related to me, as every Husemoller in the US (and probably Germany), is somehow related to me, or I them.

So, while a Teutonic name like Husemoller was tough when I was a kid, I have since learned it is character-building, as being able to stand-up to people and be proud of one's ethnic heritage whatever it is, is a good thing.

No comments: