Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Roots- The Anglo-Saxon version



This is a photo of me that was taken on a recent trip to England. I am standing next to the crypts of my 11th great-grandparents. They are buried in the churchyard of a beautiful church in a lovely little village in Somerset County, England. Their son, my ancestor came to the US in the early 1600's, and left a legacy of descendants that included numerous U.S. governors, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and a Secretary of State, to name a few.

During our visit to the west country of England, we had a wonderful time exploring the villages and churches where my various English ancestors lived. We owe a big thanks to several kind villagers and vicars, who took the time to share their love of the history of their communities and places of worship. Meeting them and learning a little about my ancestors' lives made all the difference in the world.

No comments: